News Flash Home
The original item was published from 3/18/2020 10:23:00 PM to 3/19/2020 3:33:08 PM.
Parks & Recreation News and Announcements
Posted on: March 18, 2020
[ARCHIVED] Tips for Visiting Parks during COVID 19 Pandemic
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to heading to trails — wash hands, carry hand sanitizer, do not use trails if you have symptoms, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, etc.
- Observe at all times CDC’s minimum recommended social distancing of six feet from other people. Practice it and know what it looks like. Keep it as you walk, bike or hike.
- Warn other trail users of your presence and as you pass to allow proper distance and step off trails to allow others to pass, keeping minimum recommended distances at all times. Signal your presence with your voice, bell or horn.
- Note that trail and park users may find many public restrooms closed — be prepared before you leave and time outings so that you are not dependent on public restrooms.
- Bring water or drinks — public drinking fountains may be disabled and should not be used, even if operable.
- Consider bringing a suitable trash bag to take home any trash you generate. Leave no trash, take everything out to protect park workers.
- Within the St. Joseph County Parks, pets must be on a 6-ft leash.
- Please do not gather in groups in shelters or other park areas. The CDC advises avoiding gatherings where social distancing can’t be maintained. Doing so puts park staff in a difficult position.